Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chinese Almond Cookies

For my vegetarian friends out there, I tried to make a vegetarian option for the "International Cultural Explosion" event to go along with the wontons. However, I found it difficult to find a savory Chinese dish out there that is pure vegetarian. A lot of times it's just the vegetable, cut up, sautéd in oyster sauce or soy sauce, and served. Therefore, I decided to go with a dessert instead. Finding a Chinese dessert turned out to be difficult as well, because the traditional desserts like egg tarts or sesame balls need special ingredients like glutinous rice flour (which I totally attempted to find in three grocery stores, and failed) or need some special tools (like a tart mold). Then, I randomly came across the Chinese almond cookies recipe. Cookies! That's not hard, I make cookies all the time! Woohoo!

Although the recipe is even easier than a chocolate chip recipe, I did find the consistency of the batter a little difficult to handle. I guess the dryer batter is what makes the little cracks at the edge of the cookies, but I will cut down the flour by 1/4 cup next time and see what happens. I do also like this recipe's suggestion to brush egg white on top of each cookie prior to baking - this step gives the cookies a brownish look. I would say the cookies almost reminds me of a biscotti, so I would pair it with chocolate milk or coffee. Thus, this is definitely a good recipe for hosting a tea party or when I want to bring dessert to a potluck!


Serving Size:
Makes about 30 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon water

Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush over cookies. Bake at 325 degrees F for 14-16 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment