Friday, April 1, 2011

Slow Cooker Thai Pork with Peppers

Apparently, putting pork chops in the slow cooker is not a popular cooking technique. However, I have bought 8 pork chops and I have no recipes in mind for them. I blame this on the "buy more, save more" deals that entice me to purchase much more meat than I need. Furthermore, I have been itching to use my slow cooker. Because of my schedule of trying to hit at least two gym classes a day, plus classes, plus meetings, I have not been home enough to use my slow cooker. And although people say that it's safe enough to leave it at home to cook for 6-8 hours, especially if you are cooking on low heat, I still don't feel safe leaving my slow cooker on for more than 2 hours without me being home to peek at it once in awhile. Therefore, I searched for a slow cooker recipe that involves pork chops! I was pleasantly surprised when it led me to a Thai recipe, and besides adding one more scoop of peanut butter than the recipe asked for, I followed the recipe exactly. I really enjoyed the flavors and the textures, and it went very well with rice.


Serving Size:
Yield 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons honey
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced and cut into bite-size lengths
1 pound boneless pork chops

Directions:
Place the chicken broth, soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, red bell peppers, and pork chops into a slow cooker, stir together, and set the cooker on Low. Cook for 5 to 6 hours until the pork is tender, and remove the pork from the sauce. Shred the pork, return to the sauce, let cook until hot, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment